SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – June 28, 2016 – The Space Frontier Foundation, the leading non-profit organization dedicated to opening the space frontier to human settlement, will honor five industry leaders for their advocacy and commitment to expanding commercial space efforts. Honorees will be recognized during the NewSpace 2017 Awards Ceremony at Novela, San Francisco, CA, on June 29.
The ceremony marks the conclusion of the 12th annual NewSpace conference, and will be an opportunity to celebrate humanity’s expanding presence in space and highlight the cross-disciplinary collaboration critical to creating a sustainable space economy.
“The Space Frontier Foundation created the NewSpace awards to highlight the exceptional individuals and most impactful developments each year in the space industry,” said Jeff Feige, Chairman of the Board of the Space Frontier Foundation. “Our 2017 honorees are a leading group of innovators impacting our industry for the better and for the future.”
The following individuals/companies will be recognized for their outstanding contributions to NewSpace:
- Pioneer of NewSpace – Jeff Manber, CEO of NanoRacks, for his decades of entrepreneurial work on creating and leading new companies in the commercial space industry.
- Vision to Reality – SpaceX, for their successful reflight of the first stage of a Falcon 9 Full Thrust rocket during the commercial launch of SES-10 satellite.
- Presentation of Space – Julian Guthrie, author of How to Make a Spaceship, for her excellence in Non-Fiction writing which offered the public highlights from the past, and the present of space exploration, development, and settlement.
- Vision of the Future – The Expanse, the hit science fiction television series, for its realistic depiction of solar system development and settlement.
- Service to the Frontier – Hannah Kerner, Ph.D. candidate at Arizona State University, and former executive director for the Space Frontier Foundation, for her volunteer service and dedication to advancing the future of commercial space.
Recipients of the Space Frontier Foundation annual awards were determined by the Space Frontier Foundation Board of Directors.
About the Space Frontier Foundation
Founded in 1988, the Space Frontier Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to opening the space frontier to human settlement as rapidly as possible by unleashing the power of free enterprise. Our goals include protecting the Earth’s fragile biosphere and creating a more prosperous life for each generation by using the unlimited energy and material resources of space. The Foundation is composed of a diverse, multinational array of space activists, expert scientists and engineers, media and political professionals, entrepreneurs, and passionate citizens. You too can be a part of the Space Frontier Foundation. For more information visit http://www.spacefrontier.org.
NewSpace 2017 Sponsors
Blue Origin, Luxembourg Ministry of the Economy, Perkins Coie, Space for Humanity, OffWorld, Aerospace Corporation, Ball Aerospace, Brand Delta-V, Space Systems Loral, Aerojet Rocketdyne, Moon Express, Inc., RBC Signals, Secure World Foundation, AIAA, Edelman, SpaceNews