About the Space Frontier Foundation
Who We Are
Our Advocates are the heart and soul of the Space Frontier Foundation.
Individuals are identified as potential Advocates based on their alignment with the Space Frontier Foundation’s vision and goals. Each year, at the Foundation’s annual business meeting (held in conjunction with our annual conference), the Advocates elect the Board of Directors for the following year. The newly elected Board then elects officers for the following year, including Executive Director, Treasurer, and Secretary.
Each Advocate comes from a unique background—from as far afield as event planning and radio talk show host to space company CEO and airplane pilot. Despite their varied backgrounds, Advocates share a concrete vision of the human settlement of space. The Space Frontier Foundation’s success over its two-plus decades of advocacy can be attributed in part to the boldness and ingenuity of the Advocates. The individual and collective accomplishments of our Advocates are numerous, standing as a chronicle of progress in NewSpace.
- The Advocate candidate accepts and agrees with the Credo.
- The candidate must have an existing relationship with the Space Frontier Foundation.
- The candidate is actively doing something to open the space frontier. This can be within the Foundation or through another activity.
- The candidate is willing to pay annual dues ($180, $60 for students).
- The candidate conducts their space activities with integrity.
Advocate Admissions Process
- Potential Advocates can be nominated by other Advocates throughout the year.
- Must be interviewed by at least 2 existing Advocates/BOD Members.
- Once per year, the Board meets & discusses each potential Advocate.
- Board votes on each name–must be unanimous to be pinned.
- Advocates are pinned at NewSpace Conference, at the pinning ceremony held prior to the NewSpace Awards Gala.
- Elect the Board of Directors
- Nominate the recipients of the Annual NewSpace Awards
- Heavily influence the general direction and focus of the Foundation
- Nominate future Advocates
Selected Accomplishments of Foundation Advocates
- Company founders, CEO’s, and executive leadership of almost every major NewSpace company.
- Often hailed as the genesis of NewSpace, the Delta Clipper X project was, along with Pete Conrad, managed by an Advocate.
- Advocates financed and negotiated the lease for the first commercial space station, Mir.
- Advocates negotiated the first television commercial ever shot aboard the International Space Station (for Radio Shack) and also arranged for the first space-based World Series “first pitch,” also performed on the ISS.
- ProSpace, the citizen’s space lobby was formed by Advocates and is a direct spin-off of the Foundation’s successful March Storm project, the yearly Congressional blitz.
- Numerous books on topics in space have been published by Advocates.
- An Advocate developed the rocket engine avionics for SpaceShipOne.
Recent developments in policy and space sciences suggest that the Foundation’s vision is closer than ever to materializing. As this new, dynamic chapter in the history of space exploration opens, our Advocates will continue to push the limits on what’s possible on every front.