NewSpace 2014 Awards Gala
The evening will begin with drinks and socializing at the Pre-Gala Reception & Advocates Pinning Ceremony, sponsored by Caldwell Vineyards, along with lively entertainment from the Magnolia Jazz Band. The second part of the evening features a decadent three-course meal, and the pinnacle awards ceremony. Reception begins at 6:30pm in the Sierra Ballroom and the dinner at 7:30pm in the Cascade Ballroom at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Jose. As this is a formal event, evening wear is recommended. Come and enjoy the evening with the most influential individuals in the industry and toast to the future of the NewSpace Industry!
This year, we are pleased to honor the following award winners:
- NASA Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) - Vision to Reality - This award is for early leaders of the NewSpace industry who have left a lasting legacy either through their own personal investment or the creation of a NewSpace business. The NASA COTS (Commercial Orbital Transportation Services) program was chosen to receive the Vision to Reality Award for pushing and helping to develop the commercial space industry through the achievements of Orbital Sciences and SpaceX. The Foundation chose to bestow the Vision to Reality Award, its highest accolade, for the first time in three years.
- Patti Grace Smith - Pioneer of NewSpace - This award is for an individual who was an early leader and pioneer in the creation of the NewSpace industry, and who has left a lasting legacy either through their own personal investment or the creation of an early NewSpace business enterprise. Patti Grace Smith, former FAA Commercial Space Transportation Associate Administrator, will receive the Pioneer of NewSpace Award for conceiving and implementing a pro-commercial space regulatory environment.
- Kerbal Space Program - Vision of the Future - This award is for outstanding achievement in presenting the possibilities of the Space Frontier to the general public. It is awarded to a future-oriented, entertainment, media-related project (i.e. film, TV, radio), primarily the science fiction genre. Kerbal Space Program (KSP) has proven itself as an influential public force. KSP is a computer-based simulator allowing the user to create his or her own space program based on actual materials and physics. KSP receives the Vision of the Future Award for teaching the public about how a space program operates in addition to showing what the NewSpace industry is capable of.
- NewSpace Global - NewSpace Journalism - This award is for outstanding achievement in journalism spotlighting NewSpace. This award goes to NewSpace Global for their meticulous reporting on the NewSpace industry and space development and settlement. NewSpace Global illustrated its dedication to NewSpace by having sections like Observer, a company-by-company database of information and analysis, and NewSpace Watch, which provides comprehensive coverage of industry news and events.
- Aaron Oesterle - Service to the Frontier - This award is given to someone who has dedicated exceptional volunteer service to the Foundation. The Foundation wishes to thank Aaron Oesterle for his service as Policy Director and Assistant Conference Chair, and his instrumental involvement with the creation and implementation of the Settlement Enabling Test.
- Paul Fuller - Service to the Frontier - Paul Fuller has played an instrumental role in managing the finances for the NewSpace Conference. Now the Finance Manager for the Foundation, he is responsible for establishing finance processes and tracking the budget. Paul has also been privileged to bridge SFF and Startup Weekend with the first co-located Space Startup Weekend to coincide with an aerospace conference ever.
Menu Options:First Course:
Spring Mixed Green Salad (vegan)
Lavender and honey marinated flank steak
Seared and slow roasted turkey breast with mission fig
Garden of grilled vegetables layered with herb infused goat cheese (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Apple and almond tartlet served with maple mousse
Select photos from previous years:
For more information, please contact the NewSpace Awards Gala MangerJules Feldhacker.