Marketing Space to the General Public
While the exploration of space is valuable in and of itself, the most important reason for exploring space, the reason that robots alone simply don’t count, can be summed-up in one word: settlement. In the 21st Century, human needs cry out for the extension of civilization into orbit and beyond. Why? Because space is:
- A mere 62 miles above us, and thus a continuation of our environment.
- An extension of the economy, and thus part of our lives.
- A place of abundant resources, and thus crucial to our survival and prosperity.
Stated concisely yet profoundly, space is nothing less than the ultimate economic growth engine for the entire world, and nothing more than another place for people to live, work, study, and play. The Space Settlement Project believes this is how space must be marketed to the general public. When people understand space in this manner, they will care about space and demand action.
Please use the buttons at the top for more information about the Space Settlement Project, outlined as follows:
- About the Project: Goals and Activities
- Why Space Settlement: Declaration of the Space Settlement Project, Ten Reasons for Space Settlement, Articles, Websites, Speeches, and more that explain the reasons for Space Settlement
- In the News: Press Releases, Op-Ed’s, and more about the Space Settlement Project
- Donate: Scroll down on this page to contribute directly to the Space Settlement Project
Jeff Krukin spoke at the Foundation’s Return to the Moon Conference V in Las Vegas about the importance of making settlement a fundamental goal of all space activity. Among other things, he points out that the word “settlement” is never used in the Aldridge Commission’s report. You can read his speech at Why Space Settlement?